Celebrate Friday, May 4, 2018
Recognize Your #LunchHeroes on School Lunch Hero Day!
On Friday, May 4th we will kick off School Nutrition Employee Week (May 7-11) with a celebration, as we take part in the 6th Annual School Lunch Hero Day! School Lunch Hero Day is a day to recognize and celebrate the hardworking professionals in school cafeterias across the country, who fuel our emerging future leaders with the healthy meals that make a difference in their success.
Between preparing healthy meals for America’s students, adhering to strict nutrition standards, navigating student food allergies and offering service with a smile, school nutrition professionals are true heroes!
School Lunch Hero Day is the perfect opportunity to recognize the hardworking professionals in school cafeterias. SNA has partnered with Jarrett J. Krosoczka, author of the “Lunch Lady” book series, and Random House, to remind everyone—directors, managers, parents, students, and school staff —that school nutrition employees are superheroes that deserve some recognition.
The day aims to showcase the ways in which school nutrition professionals make a difference for every child who comes through the cafeteria.
Want to learn more about the inspiration behind School Lunch Hero Day? Watch the video below!
~ Don’t wait for School Lunch Hero Day to say THANK YOU to your lunch staff.
Recognize Your School Nutrition Heroes
Showing how much you appreciate a school nutrition employee can be as simple as saying thank you or as special as holding a reception to recognize their achievements. How can you show your favorite school nutrition heroes that you value them?
The list below details some different ideas to recognize the efforts of school nutrition professionals. There’s something in the list for everyone—principals, teachers, students, parents, supervisors and coworkers. And don’t forget, this doesn’t have to be limited to School Lunch Hero Day. These can be done anytime of year!
- Get Students Involved! Download Activity Sheets and Cards for your students in English and Spanish too!
- Announce School Nutrition Employee Week and School Lunch Hero Day on the signs in front of the schools. Make sure that the week is featured on the schools’ calendars and in newsletters. Don’t forget to include the celebration on your menus for the week.
- Recognize your employees’ achievements during morning announcements or even during a special segment on the school’s TV show.
- Make signs, banners or posters to decorate your cafeteria and to promote the work your staff does. Feature photos of the employees and a short description of why they are special. You could also add something to your school or district Facebook page.
- Send a thoughtful greeting to make your employee feel special.
- Reward staff with gifts from the SNA Emporium. Looking for some extra special recognition? Consider gifting employees with a School Lunch Hero Day apron, t-shirt or other fun merchandise from the SNA Emporium! Order TODAY, to ensure lunch heroes receive their gifts in time.To browse School Lunch Hero Day merchandise, click here.
For more information about this festive day, visit our School Lunch Hero Day page.
You can also check out Jarrett Krosoczka’s Ted Talk about School Lunch Hero Day by clicking here!